Re: [Harp-L] Playing scales

On Dec 8, 2006, at 11:59 PM, Jim McBride wrote:

A while back I posted on harp-L asking about exercises to get faster on the harp. Jason Ricci suggested exercises based on patterns from the blues scale. I started playing his "2 up 1 back" blues scale exercise starting on 3 draw and its been a big help.

That's called 'stairstep' or more commonly a ladder exercise.

Not so much in getting faster, but in moving me around on the harp in ways I haven't done before. After playing that scale exercise hundreds of times, I started hearing parts of it in my playing when I was jamming. Thanks Jason! Got any more like that?

Try the stairstep backwards. That one is the 'waterfall'. It's a little trickier because our music tends to get us used to tunes ending on a higher key than what it was started on OR the ending notes are higher than the starting notes. This gets ingrained in our minds making a regressing exercise trickier. :)

smo-joe

Jim McBride