Fwd: [Harp-L] Theory of scales

On Dec 8, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Vern Smith wrote:

Scales and arpeggios are the building blocks of melody. Look at any tune and you will find that most often successive notes are either the next note up or down the scale (major or minor seconds) and frequently up and down the arpeggio (major or minor thirds). Practice of the diatonic scale or arpeggio chords, particularly in keys other than the key of the harp, gives you a reflex memory of where the whole and half steps occur.

I envy those of you who can play by ear in any key on a C chromatic. I once asked a player who could do this how he learned and he said, "By playing a million scales in every key!"

Scales are exercises. The traditional way of dividing practice time is: 1/3 for exercises, 1/3 for new material, and 1/3 for polishing the repertoire.

Vern

OK, I was watching The Avaitor and Moonglow was playing. I happen to know it is in Eb because I used to play it on clarinet or sop- sax. I would use F fingering. On a Bb based instrument this yields Eb.

Fortunately I had a G chromo handy and so I played along. I had to use ...da da....Ab, in order to replicate Eb. p.s. I am not too familiar with Ab.

OK, I 'could' do Ab scales ad infinitum, but I don't believe in them. I would rather take a piece of music and do it in another key on another chromo ultimately arriving at a third terminal key. Its more fun (and less boring) for me to learn that way. That's why I can pick up any keyed chromo and not feel lost. Some people tell me they can't I guess their ears are 'locked in'. M A Y B E because of scales? I dunno? Wish I did.

Now when I say I don't believe in something, no one should get concerned. It doesn't mean that such a thing doesn't exist OR isn't the correct thing to do. It merely means that to me, it is a non sequeter. This would come under the famous 'In MY opinion' range of thought.

Wednesday nite we returned to the Harborside marina & rest. for our famous 46 YEAR jam session and I played every tune on a chromo tuned to a different key than the tunes (Oh, except 'Wonderful World'), As for playing everything on a C chromo, I don't believe in it. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it's a drudge. Have some fun. Try to play 'Sleighride' in any of the various 12 keys. You will find that the easiest way to get it is in Db fingering.

Now try Take 5. Easy as pie in Dm, TOUGH in Ebm. It IS originally in Ebm. Ok, that's fine for a sax player (which is what it's usually played on). It's done in F fingering with the minor notes thrown in. Try it on chromo. Yeah, good luck with THAT.

p.s.... I also don't believe in the Civil War, Religion, Rap Music, Burial, Hunting, Abraham Lincoln, the Viet Nam Memorial, just to name a few.

smokey joe