Re: [Harp-L] Theory of scales

Scales are nothing but a reference point. They give you a feel for the notes
in a key.

Scales and arpeggios (more fun) are useful when the mind goes blank and you
don't have any charts in the particular key handy that you know you need to
know.

How many people have gone some place, business or medical appointment, and
ending up waiting and waiting but just happened to have a harmonica with them --
but ,,,, alas .... no charts....

Sales are arpeggios are like using folk songs to practice tone or any other
technique -- they are so obvious and easy to play (you can tell when you hit a
sour note) that you can concentrate on practicing your timing without worrying
about what notes you are playing.

The real problem here is that smo-joe and the iceman don't need to work on
their scales -- you could wake them up in the middle of the night (morning) and
demand they play the J scale and they could!

But anybody on this list who wonders about the value of scales -- probably
does. (The rest already know enough.)

... And somebody will come out of the woodwork to state absolutely that he
doesn't need any stinking scales, never used them and never will and anybody who
thinks anybody else who needs them also needs his head examined. GO figure.