Re: [Harp-L] Folk Harp

For real folk music played on the harmonica, well, there's blues as one
type. There's also old-timey, celtic, jug band - you get the drift.
Plenty of players that could be named, too, in all those styles.

But it sounds like the singer-songwriter thing is what you're thinking
of. For some reason a songwriter plays an acoustic guitar and some
people call it "folk" when folk is the opposite - songs that have been
around and styles that have been around for hundreds of years and are
part of the culture.

Minor keys? No need in particular for overblows. Every minor scale is
based on a major scale starting on a different note of the scale. For
instance, the C major scale is also the A minor scale (or the version
of it called "natural" minor. The C major scale also gives you minor
types of scales on D and E. So there are three minor-sounding scales on
one harp, no overblows at all.

There's no reason to avoid second position, either just because you're
not playing blues. It has plenty to offer and can even be made to sound
minor by making sure to bend Draw 3 down.

In fact, Lee Oskar makes a harp that plays natural minor in second
position. You buy, say, an A Natural MInor Lee Oskar, play it in second
position, but it comes out in a minor scale in A minor (the key is
"labeled in second position").

Winslow