Re: [Harp-L] Differnt approach to Amps?

Chris Canning wrote:
> I am in the midst of creating a harp rig and while I
> understand the vintage mic/amp approach I am looking
> to do it a bit differently.

I think it's commendable to try and do something different, after all,
we don't all want to sound like Little Walter (believe it or not).  I
think the Motion Sound amp sounds like a dream, and it already has a
tube channel, and even a switchable channel that sounds really
interesting.  I use a tube/solid state hybrid preamp and set the two
channels up differently and use an A-B switch to change back and
forth, to similar effect.  I like having solid state power because it
means you can do all your tonal contouring up front and then amplify
to whatever level you need independently.  The fact that it has an XLR
output is a plus too, so you can run straight to the PA occasionally.

-tim