To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 10:35 PM
Subject: Oz Harp Fest

Went to the Sydney, Australia Harmonica Festival today. This was set up by the Blue Tongue Harmonica Club http://www.bluetongueharmonica.com.au. Well run and organized event. The first part of the day were workshops. There was a beginning blues harp one which i skipped to go to the country and bluegrass workshop by Lawrie Milson. He did a nice job discussing and demonstrating different techniques specific to those styles and contrasting them to traditional blues technique. he discussed country tuning and did lots of demos of styles (vamping, chordal playing, etc).

Next was a workshop by Ian Collard, seemed to be a young guy in his early 30's or so. Showed a fantastic knowledge of harp history, especially the country blues style he was specifically discussing - very good knowledge of DeFord Bailey and Sonny Terry and demo'd their styles very effectively. This kid (Ian) showed he was a serious student of the old time players and has put in significant time in the woodshed. what an awesome young player he was. He played through a Sonny Jr. 410 which he raved about as the best custom harp amp out there (rightfully so), then he showed/demo'd a Holmes Harp Commander II as something good for those traveling band situations where you can't bring a big-ass amp. He also said that Brian Purdies's harpgear amps were very good.

Next Brendan Power did a seminar on world harp playing, he started by playing a song on diatonic that sounded very much like the australian aborigine didigeroo and it just blew me away how good he was at that. wow. then he did some sonny terry type whopping, played some turkish/klisma/bulgarian type music on his chromatic, showed off his frankenstein special 20, etc. he played so many world styles, this guy was so incredible.

following those seminars was the concert part of the day. robert susz from sydney started this off with his funk and soul style. what a great entertainer. very junior wells-like funky style. great version of "Rinky Dink". very funny stage banter, sort of an austin powers type of guy. great harp player and entertainer.

Ian Collard followed. Listen people, this is the most exciting young blues harp player *after* Jason Ricci. This kid has done his homework and knows his shit. He was *amazing* in everything he did - acoustic, electric, switching harps, diatonic to chromatic. He is australia's best kept secret. Kind of a Levon Helms type young guy, whiskers, ball cap, shirt untucked. Kicked ass up and down, took no prisoners.And the kid has a great voice.

Lawrie Minson came out next and played some excellent country harmonica. Influences are Charlie McCoy and it showed. Great singing and accompanying himself on guitar. Very melodic and fluid country chops.

Next was Jim Conway, accompanied by the house pianist of the night, Don Hopkins.Just the pianist and Jim playing acoustically into the SM58. Wow. Jim played excellent and inspired harp, it moved me. But this pianist - whoa. This guy knocked me out with his playing and vocals. He is truly Van Morrison meets Elton John in the perfect storm. He kicked ass. Jim kicked ass, what a great set, just two guys sychronizing so well.

Then the headliner brendan power. what else can you say. he just lit it up, didn't want to stop, nobody wanted him to stop. i sure the hell didn't. i wanted to quit my job and just play every day all day until i could play like him.

I was pissed that i didn't bring my recorder but i don't think they would have allowed it. there was an australian station there ABC that recorded the whole thing for rebroadcast next year. that includes the concert as well as ian and brendan's workshops. contact blue tongue to see if maybe we can get access to that in other parts of the world.

Bill Hines