Re: [Harp-L] Recommended Stevie Wonder CD

Hi Denny -

When I saw your post yesterday, I expected to see all sorts of replies suggesting different cds. I'm sure there is no 'correct' answer to your question. Most of his albums are actually thin on harmonica content, yet if you were to string all of his harmonica solos together from all his albums (there are over 30 of them), it would represent a real wealth of material.

Even forgetting about harmonica content, I don't think there is one cd that will give you his best just like there is no one best album by The Beatles, Toots, Django, etc....

Having said that, I can say that there's little doubt that "Songs in the Key of Life" stands out as one of his most important contributions to the world of music, "Eivets Rednow" has the highest percentage of harmonica content (although it's not everyone's cup of tea), and if I had to choose a personal favorite, it would probably be "Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants" which is more than just a collection of great tunes. There are these wonderful recurring musical themes that weave there way in and out through the album, his synth work is really beautiful, and there's a healthy dose of harmonica playing too.

- Slim.

http://www.SlideManSlim.com

Denny Noreikas wrote:

I am making my Christmas wish list and would like to ask for a Stevie Wonder CD. Based upon all the recent discussions on Harp-L what is the ONE CD that will give me the best of Stevie Wonder and his harmonica playing?

Your help is appreciated.

Denny