RE: [Harp-L] Hohner Trumpet Call reissue

>From what I have read about them, they are essentially a Marine Band
harmonica with the "horn flares" added for decoration. No sound/air
actually moves through the "trumpets". Some would (and have) argue that
a certain amount of resonance is developed in the horn throats by
default and vibration. True or not, I cannot imagine any significant
contribution to volume or tone coming from flares which are pointing
upward, away from listeners and microphones alike.

These links from the National Music Museum, Alan G. Bates Collection,
features some info on the original issue of the TC and other similar
harps:
http://www.usd.edu/smm/TrumpetCall-1.html
http://www.usd.edu/smm/HornedHarmonica.html
http://www.usd.edu/smm/KochTrumpetOrgan.html

However, this model DID have sound-producing horns, incorporating two
reeds in each horn:
http://www.usd.edu/smm/Pipeolian.html

And lastly, the following have a resonator which does function to focus
and resonate sound, and allow for some cool hand effects:
http://www.usd.edu/smm/HarmoniphoneHarmonica.html
http://www.usd.edu/smm/FunnelShapedHarmonica.html

John Balding