Re: [Harp-L] Dressing like a musician

On Aug 29, 2006, at 1:33 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

It was always fun to see how important first impressions and clothes are in unknown situations and how human beings subconsciously (or consciously) place you in a certain catagory.

We are a small group of musicians who sometimes forget that the larger group is 'Not Musicians'. The 'Not Musicians' don't listen with the same ears we do, have different values and make judgements based on different input than Musicians. The 'Not Musicians' make up the bulk of the public that buy cd's, attend concerts and supply the lubrication that makes the music business wheels turn ($$$$).

Though audiences predilections were very much implicit in the text of my original e-mail, I was wondering more about fellow musicians. Why does one have to sport chin pubes, bowling shirts, black jeans, and berets to be taken seriously? Isn't it about chops and connecting with the audience?

Dress has never been an issue with audiences in my experience. Indeed, I've found audiences to be generous most of the time. They just want to feel good. My special (meant ironically) blend of enthusiasm (%90) and talent (%10) combined with absolute sincerity usually wins the day.

With some very notable exceptions, it's fellow musicians who are more apt to make comments like, "I thought you were an accountant," and dawdle at attire as their running through their personal check lists. Of course, as delineated in my earlier anecdote, the people on stage eventually warm up. But wouldn't it be cool if we treated each other as we wished the audiences would treat us.

Bob Cohen