Re: Re: [Harp-L] The Outstanding Musical Value of Alternate Tunings

Chris Michalek wrote:
> Tim, I don't mean to offend you but I thought your playing on the
> richter tuned harps was much better than the altered tuned ones.

I'm assuming here that you mean the Paddy Richter, rather than the
Melody Maker tuned harps.  I actually didn't bring any standard
tuned harps to SPAH, aside from one I used for reference in my
positions seminar.  In the case of the Paddy, there's only one note
different from a standard tuning.

> There were a few times I wondered to myself why you chose to
> played the altered harps over the regular ones. I assume at the
> time you were experiment and forcing yourself out of the box.

Again, I prefer the raised 5 draw for the major 7th on stuff that
really hangs there.  I also like using these for 5th position minor,
because the second degree of the scale lies on the 5 draw rather
than the 5OB which works better (for me) for scale runs or melody
lines, and facilitates moving back and forth between the major and
natural minor modes of the scale.

One thing that might be an issue is that my Melody Maker tuned harps
are made from Tombo Ultimos, which are tonally very different from
my Golden Melodies, and also are set up a little "tighter".

It's all a journey for me, and it's possible that by this time next
year I'll be down to just the Paddies.  I'm always trying to reduce
the number of sets of harps I use to get through my repertoire,
though certainly not down to one harp!

Thanks for the kind words,

-tim