[Harp-L] sitting in

I appreciate the comments about " sitting in" etiquette. I would like to
present a bass player's perspective. My wife, a vocalist/ pianist, and I
moved to a resort town last year and we have a house gig at a club which has
always encouraged pro jazz, blues and Latin players to sit in. As newbie's
in town for the first couple of months we were subjected to people
constantly sitting in, usually without even asking. After the second time a
drunk guitarist unplugged my bass in the middle of a song, I told the owner
that the situation was out of hand.
 Since then we have had a policy that only musicians who are referred to us
by another pro musician who we know, or by the club owner can sit in.
If it's a slow night and we are approached on a break in a professional
manner, and can discuss possible material beforehand, we will make
exceptions, but too often the reaction is " what's the matter , you don't
think I can play your stuff?" or a tirade telling me how the sitter in is so
great that we should be on our hands & knees begging to back him/her.
 The key is to show the band respect. At least listen to a set before you
ask to sit in and maybe make an intelligent musical comment on any material
you are familiar with. This will go a long way. most important, please do
not approach me and blow alcohol fumes into my face, and avoid vomiting on
me when you ask to sit in.
 The exception to all the above guidelines is if you are much more famous
than the band!