Re: [Harp-L] Harp of Choice...

How many people ar using XBs? Not the right tool for every job;
sometimes you've just gotta have that reedy, squeeky litttle 20 reed-er.
But they are a great instrument. Found I can play an 'F' major scale (on
C) with nothing but draws; just one example. Then there's the volume,
loudness, fatness, prescence etc. etc. When I get through exploring all
the possibilities (just knock on my coffin lid) I'd like to propose the
next step: the Chromatic XB (Rick Epping, are you out there?) Yeah I
know; it already is, but you know what I mean. A practical
impossibility? If the tremolo Chrom. was possible, then this probably is
too. It might need some screw in legs like my old Fender steel guitar. I
reckon it would be close to the last word in harp design. The
possibilities would be endless.Look out saxman!
Dreaming aside, I stick with Hohners, and usually Special 20s. They
seem to me to have the highest standard-of-standard-ness, to paraphrase
Robert Crumb. Also, if you stick to one model, you have interchangeable
parts.
Lee Oscars are the only other readily store-available harp down here in
the Antipodes. Never seen a Hering, except the ones I had for breakfast
this morning.
I wouldn't say the LOs are a bad instrument. The quality control is
good, and they last. I would compare the LOs to a guitar set up for loud
rock with spider-web guage strings and a super-low action, while a
Hohner is more like an old Gibson arch top with a high action and heavy
strings; you've got fang the bastard before it howls. Thats for me.
Further comparisons:electric egg-whisk and cast iron push-mower;
2-stroke 250cc Kawasaki with '41 Flathead Indian Chief....maybe that's
going a bit too far. Just my personal taste of course.
Don't buy much stuff over the net, but I'll get a couple of the new
Suzukis. While I do play overblows, I've never really liked the sound of
it, and my current thinking (which could change at any time) is that the
XB is the way to go for chromatics-on-a-diatonic. Nevertheless, like I
said above, there are plenty of times when I want the sound of a 20 reed
diatonic (as opposed to the sometimes over-lush sound of the XB or
chrom) and I get a kick out of overbending/drawing, even if it does
sound like a dying dog. (Sorry OB devotees)
Happy Reeding,
RD

Bachman <harptime@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems that so many new harps are being discussed and discovered by
our
> harp community. What I am hoping to start with this post is another
"roll
> call". I think many of us would like to know what brand and models
others
> are using and perhaps explanations why. I will start the process and
see if
> anybody cares to follow suit.

as a relative newbie, i'd gone through a long period of trying
different models
to see what i liked best.  tried special 20's, vintage 1923's, pro
harps, bushman
delta frost, big rivers.  pretty much settled on special 20's, and
relegated the
others to practice harps.

but recently i got a few suzuki bluesmasters as a gift.  and man, are
they nice.
ergonomically, they are by far the most comfortable to hold and play.
but i also
find them very smooth and responsive, with very controllable bends and
such.
i haven't adjusted anything yet, 'til i get to know them better.  but
they already play
better than my former favorites.  they sound a bit different than the
20's.  not
necessarily better, or worse.  just different.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

Can't you hear my lambs a callin'?
Oh good shepherd won't you feed my sheep?