Re: [Harp-L] Re:How we learned diatonic harmonica in the olden days

boy, alot of old acid heads on the list.at least im not the only one.

stevenlois1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:  Learning harp saved my sanity! It was June 1969 when I purchased the Tony Glover book and a Marine Band in the key of A for $3. I was leaving my home in Philadelphia to return to school in Baltimore on the weekend of my graduation from High School. I was going to stay with a classmate to experience LSD together for the first time. Being extremely naive, I took one before I got on the Greyhound bus, thinking it would make the trip more fun. I started reading Tony's book, with some difficulty, as the print would float off of the page at times. Thanks to Tony's conversational tone in his writing, it kept me from freaking out! Tony's sense of humour kept me in a good frame of mind (e.g. Why do you bend notes? Well we all have our own perversions, right?) When I finally arrived at my friend's house I started playing the harp, he said it sounded great and he was not on anything!After that, I took the harp with me everywhere. I would try different
 things like talking, singing, grow!
ling an
d all kinds of other ways to make different sounds. That openned me up to a lot of possibilities in making different sounds. Butterfield's first album was a great inspiration; however,Mayall's "Blues Alone" album was a lot easier for me to play. Jack Bruce's traintime was another tune I worked on alot. Per Tony's book, I picked up Little Walter and SB II albums. Studying those 2 artists became the foundation for my playing. It wasn't until 11 years ago, in 1995, that I began playing in bands. Playing with others forced me to learn timing, when to play and not play, and how to comp behind others. I definitely would NOT recommend altered conciousness as a means to learn harp. I was just 17 back then and am lucky to survive with my sanity (though people that know me may dispute that claim).
Steve Klein