[Harp-L] My Geezer story

I had been trying to play straight harmonica to impress a girl at my church,
when I was pre-teen.  I was into folk music.  So, I hitchhiked to the
Newport Folk Festival in 1968.  I was walking around and heard this
harmonica music and found this young guy standing by himself playing.  It
was the first I had ever heard blues or cross-harp.  I asked him "How do you
play like that!"  He said "Count 4 up and you got it.  If your guitar player
is in C play an F harp." Then he gave a newBlues Harp.  I said, WOW, thanks,
why are you giving this to me?  He said "I work for Horner."  That fellow
made a lot of bread for Hohner as I have spent thousands of bucks on harps.

I got home in Chicago and found there was a load of blues being played at
this place called Mother Blues.  I just about moved into that club.  There
was this band called "The Paul Butterfield Blues Band."  Paul showed me one
night how to cup the harp for a tight cup.  Then there was James Cotton and
Charlie Musslewhite...

Ah, those were the days my friend, we thought...

Glenn (smiling like the old man he is.)