Re: [Harp-L] How we learned diatonic harmonica in the "olden days"

In a message dated 4/24/06 5:32:32 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx writes:

> How did you other "old guys" learn to play before 21st Century teaching
> aids were created?
>
>    If you call what I do "playing," i am certainly an old guy. I started on
harp after hearing Charlie McCoy's instrumental version of the Merle Haggard
classic, Today I Started Loving You Again, along with I'm So Lonesome I Could
Cry. I played no other instruments, knew absolutely nothing about music (I mean
zero) and spent much time in the mid   70s just trying to find someone to show
me something, anything. I learned some folk songs in first position, then
heard Don Brooks on a Waylon jennings album. THen I found Sonny and Brownie.   It
was a long time before I could bend a note or figure out second position. In
the process, though, I learned a little guitar and learned how to play bass,
at least in a rudimentary fashion.   Little by little by little, as my
sometimes limited time allowed, I made progress.
But my real progress came after I joined this list and started attending
Buckeye and SPAH. Since 1999 I have bought a lot of blues music, a lot of harps,
some amps and microphones, played in a couple of bands in limited fashion, and
just generally had a big time with it all. Harp is still my main thing and my
musician friends who are still in bands are kind to me when I show up every
now and then at one of their gigs. That's how I feed my habit these days.
I should mention that I am 64 years old and still working on so many things.
As an aside, last week some friends and I played at an independent living
facility... bluegrass music mostly, with banjo, two guitars and me on upright
bass. At the end, I pulled out my harp and did a little medley of folk songs I
have put together, ending with Battle Hymn of the Republic. The response was
surprising, with people singing the chorus and then coming up to me afterward to
say thanks. I guess a lot of people that age grew up with a harmonica around
the house and someone in the family who could play it a little. They sure loved
the sound.
My two pennies worth....
Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb