Re: [Harp-L] How we learned diatonic harmonica in the "olden days"

iceman wrote:
> How did you other "old guys" learn to play before 21st Century
> teaching aids were created?

I remember picking out some single note stuff listening to an Eric
Clapton song ("Goin' Down Slow", I believe).  Then I heard the J.
Geils Band, about the same time a friend who worked in a music store
demonstrated bending notes -- not how he did it, just that it could
be done.  I spent hours, weeks, months woodshedding (lots of free
time at age 14) with "Full House", from which I learned precise note
bends, shakes, 1st, 2nd & 3rd position, blow bends, and lots of
other essential techniques.  I moved from there to Paul Butterfield,
where I learned octave splits and heard improvisation as imaginative
and fluid as Duane Allman.

I didn't even know there was a "harmonica community" until about
1996.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps