[Harp-L] Five Owls

Iceman - the Canned Heat extended piece you describe is on the double LP "Livin the Blues".   The
entire piece (in several movements) is called "Parthenogenis" but the particular harmonica tune
with the descending riff is called "Five Owls" (so named because the "Blind Owl" overdubbed
himself five times.)

Its amazing that both you and I "learned to play" from listening to that song (among others).  It
wasn't until 30 years later that I realized that at least one of the harps the Blind Owl uses on
those overdubs is his trademark altered tuning!   Imagine the frustration of a 14 year old kid
like me who was just learning to play wondering where the hell that "impossible" note was on the
harp!  It's the same note he uses so effectively in his "On the Road Again" solo.   I do seem to
recall some wise sage back then telling me that "he files his reeds" - but I had no idea what that
meant.

Anyway, that main descending riff from "Five Owls" can be played without the altered tuning and
its a fine riff indeed.   I still use it sometimes!