[Harp-L] RE: Hole spacing on different harps (Was Seydel Blues Favorite)

Paul,
Thanks for the comments.  The reedplate on the Favorite is thick, but
certainly not douible what a normal plate is, and I find it a very easy
bender: maybe it's "just right!"
Zig

)Paul M said:
Zig:  Well, Joe Filisko I am not, but I'll give you my opinion of the
double-reed plate harps he's made for me.  They are all in lower than
standard key harps (down to a low-C that he made me) . . . I know that
Howard played them almost exclusively (all keys) for a time . . .

I think the idea was that the 'sound' would be bigger, which it is . . . As
far as bend and reed responsiveness . . .

My experience (again, only with the lower harps) is that it takes more
effort because you have to bend it further (on both bends and overblows).
Also, there is more stress on the reeds, again because they have to bend
further (remember that harmonica bends include complimentary sets of reeds
bending towards each other).

Finally, I have found it more 'challenging' to maintain a warm tone, they
sound more harsh to me, especially in a the studio; so I usually use the
single reed-plate harps in recording situations (except the low-C, which is
the only one that I've got) . . .

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best answer I can
give you . . .

Paul Messinger/Chapel Hill NC)

http://mail2web.com/ .