Re: [Harp-L] epiphone amp

From: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] epiphone amp

  "Has anyone tried the epiphone tube junior combo amp? I noticed it's
going for $139.00 online.  Thanks."

  I just got one, after seeing my friend, Greg "Fingers" Taylor, using one and making it sound great.  I haven't had a chance to use it at a gig yet, but my initial impression is that it's very loud for a little 5-watt amp and has great tube tone.  It has only one control, a volume knob, so don't expect much/any versatility.  But if you are looking for a Champ-like sound at a remarkably low price (got mine for $120 on eBay), it's great and really honks.  It does have a noticeable hum, which is worrisome to me because I was thinking of using it for an upcoming recording.  My understanding is that this hum is a standard "feature" with this amp and not something unique to the one I bought.

  The next model up from this one, the Epiphone Valve Special Combo (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=480262), has a 10" speaker as opposed to the Junior's 8-inch, and also comes with reverb, tone controls and DSP effects for about $100 more.  Might be worth checking out.

  Hope this helps.
  -s-

---
My musical home:  http://www.scottalbertjohnson.com
Find me on MySpace:  http://www.myspace.com/scottalbertjohnson

Yahoo! Mail goes everywhere you do.  Get it on your phone.