Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:04:36 +0200
Subject: [Harp-L] Hole spacing on different harps (Was Seydel Blues
Favorite)
From: "Don Z"

Zag, I mean Don, said:
"Zig,  I have a Seydel Blues Session with the plastic comb.  In this
model, the center-to-center hole spacing is slightly greater than other
brand harps.  Do you observe the same with the Blues Favorite Black?  I
would assume so, but would like to confirm.
Zag... No, No! Make that CDon"

Don, I pulled out all my harps to compare and that is an  absolutely
correct observation: both of the two Seydels  do stretch the 10 holes
out slightly wider(7.75 cm) than Hohner( 7.2 cm), Hering (7.2 cm), or
Oskar ( 7.3 cm).  The Blues Session has a substantially thicker
comb(plastic) than the Blues Favorite Black(black anodized aluminum) but
from end to end they are the same width, but the Session has larger
square holes with thinner comb space between reeds while the Favorite
has narrower holes with thicker combspace between which is slightly
rounded/contoured with biconcave shape.
To take it a step further, looking at comb thickness: listed from
thinnest to thickest: the Aluminum Blues Favorite black thinnest, then
Marine Band, then Golden Melody= Hering, then Seydel Blues Session=Lee
Oskar=Special 20.
The Seydel Blues Favorite Black has the thickest reedplates BY FAR.  Can
someone more knowledgable than I please tell us what thicker reedplates
impart compared to thin?  Where's Joe Filisko when you have a question
like this!?  Paul Messinger: I know you know the answer to this one as
you own some Thick reed-plated Filisko and Sleigh harps!
Now you've got me wondering whether responsiveness of a harp as far as
bending/overblows is at all related to comb thickness or reedplate
thickness, as the Favorite seems so easy and the thicker combed
harps(Oskars and the Sessions) traditionally are poor , squaking
overblowers.  (or is it reed material, length to width ratios etc). I
call for a scientific investigation!
Zig, scientist