[Harp-L] Hole spacing on different harps (Was Seydel Blues Favorite)

" Can someone more knowledgable than I please tell us what thicker reedplates impart compared to thin? "

This has been thouroughly covered several times in the past on harp- l. I advise checking the archives, as there is a wealth of information on this subject in particular.

"To take it a step further, looking at comb thickness: listed from thinnest to thickest: the Aluminum Blues Favorite black thinnest, then Marine Band, then Golden Melody= Hering, then Seydel Blues Session=Lee Oskar=Special 20."

Where are you measuring comb thickness? The last three all have enclosed reed-plate designs and thus the comb is not uniform in thickness throughout. Thus, are you measuring the total thickness at the mouthpiece or in the middle where the reed-plates sit?

Now you've got me wondering whether responsiveness of a harp as far as bending/overblows is at all related to comb thickness or reedplate thickness, as the Favorite seems so easy and the thicker combed harps (Oskars and the Sessions) traditionally are poor , squaking overblowers. (or is it reed material, length to width ratios etc).

Perhaps comb width might had some effects (doubtful). But, by your own measurements the Special 20 is the thickest comb and it overblows fine. Indeed, LOs do as well (and I bet the Session would if you gapped it properly). The squeeking is well documented and relates to torsional vibration from the reed profile.

"I call for a scientific investigation!"

I call for checking the archives. While I always enjoy talking about technical subjects, unless people see what's been talked about before then it's just rehashing the same basic questions over and over again.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'