[Harp-L] Re: Required Reading

1.  Monk - Live at the 5 Spot (Johnny Griffin on Tenor, to my mind this is
the ever inventive Monk at his best, thinking about this reminds me that I want
to learn to play more Monk tunes).

2.  Johnny Griffin - Jazz Sahara (early 60s, Griffin recorded with Arabian
musicians, awesome stuff, one of the first and still one of the best of the east
meets west things).

3.  Coltrane - Meditations (Love Supreme is the first one that I listened to
over and over, but this is the one that really got me excited, no 4-20
necessary unless you want to get the sh8t scared out of you).

3.  Muddy - Best Of (yeah, me too).

3.  Mingus - Oh Yeah (Hog Callin' Blues, Don't Drop That Atom Bomb On Me,
Peggy's Blue Skylight, all wonderful stuff, Mingus sings and plays piano on some
of these.)

4.  Wolf - His Best (Smokestack Lightnin: what the hell is that about -
doesn't matter).

4.  Jim Kweskin - Relax My Mind (Mel Lyman on harp, just love the way he
played My Creole Belle, I think it was on this album, don't know if it's available
anymore).

5.  Roland Kirk - Case of the 3-Sided Dream (beautiful Bye Bye Blackbird).

I think it is interesting to see what others regard as the great stuff.
To me these are a very short list of some of the most interesting and
enjoyable music that I have listened to and been inspired by.
Walter Lay