From: aeskow@xxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:47:34 -0400
Subject: [Harp-L] Coltrane and Ballads

Lost in the to-and-fro--and perhaps even the hither-and-thither--about A Love
Supreme (before whose altar I, personally, worship) is a whole other aspect of
Coltrane's playing that I find too often neglected--and in the long run perhaps
of equal or greater use to most harp players, and that is his insanely delicate
and heartfelt way with a ballad.  On my own desert island compilation of discs
I'd be sure to include the Ballads album he did with Johnny Hartman, whose voice
may be an acquired taste (I think it's what the adjective "plummy" was invented
for) but which I dig a lot.  Just hearing the way Coltrane cuts to the heart of
each melody with a samurai grace is a master class in soul.  It's as if, having
plumbed the depths of the cosmos via his sax and his dope, he returned to some
timeless simplicities and was able to evoke them with brushstrokes of perfect
grace.

Peace and Respect,
Johnny T