Re: Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading --- A Love Supreme

The Boss wrote:
> I guess my question is how does any of this serve the needs
> of the thread? It seemed to me this list of lists got started
> so people could share their personal thoughts about music
> that had some sort of profound effect on them.  I don't know
> that I'd ever feel comfortable criticising anyone's choices in
> music.  If what you want is for people to not take risks in
> posting this is a great way to get there.  I was finding it
> very interesting to read about the music that people were
> effected by.  I'm hoping this is just a minor blip in the road
> and this whole discussion rights itself and continues in the
> previously personal and fascinating way it began.

As much as I recognize the indelicacy of the comments regarding
someone's choice of a particular recording as being influential
(how's that for diplomatically vague?), I think there is some
validity in discussing that choice.  If we leave out the personality
issues, I find the discussion of Coltrane's work pretty
interesting.

I've personally long been conflicted about Coltrane.  I respect his
abilities, and in some contexts I've heard him shine, but many times
he leaves me exhausted and confused.  I love his work with Monk, who
I think provided him a delightfully playful structure in which to
flex his considerable muscle.  Likewise, I think he was sometimes a
wonderfully energetic counterpoint to Miles Davis.

I realize this is a stretch in a harmonica forum, but we might make
comparisons between the debate over Coltrane's style and that of a
certain harmonica player who's name shall not be mentioned.  Mind
you, I'm not saying those two are in any way similar as far as their
impact on music as a whole, but the discussion of style versus
technique is very similar.

Maybe if we can leave out the profanity and the assumptions about
people tastes we can actually find some value in this offshoot of
the thread.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps