[Harp-L] lists

I truly despise lists of "top five" and so forth. It's the same problem I have with Grammys or the Oscars--art cannot be judged the same way a footrace can.

Now that I've said that, here's my list--the caveat, of course, is that it is meaningless, personal and simply a fun if frustrating exercise. I'm limiting myself to albums here, which again makes things difficult. No particular order, they are just numbered so that I don't go too far.

1. "Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition" by Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Split into two sections, the first is Ashkenazy playing the original piano piece. An amazing work, Romantic, Impressionistic and Expressionistic all at once, and with an intimacy which can only be captured by a solo performance. There is a raw emotionalism here which shows this work in the proper context: an elegy for a lost friend. The second section is Ashkenazy's orchestral arrangement. Less bombastic than the more well known version, it still manages to convey the emotional content of the original--though the intimacy of the piano version is naturally missing. A brilliant album and a brilliant piece of music.

2. "Mingus Dynasty" by Charles Mingus.

I could choose any Mingus, really, but I love the version of "Mood Indigo" on this. To me that song shows everything I love about Mingus' music--his amazing bass playing, his ability to get creative, wild and yet fully realized solos from his musicians and that swing. Not even Chick Webb, Lionel Hampton or Count Basie could swing as hard as Mingus in his prime--he just got his band going with such amazing drive and ferocity that I've never heard elsewhere.

3. "Headhunters" by Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters.

The ultimate fusion album. Raw, powerful and pure funk. Herbie finally let his synthesizer playing come to the fore and really created some of the most beautiful synth sounds ever here--his strings are the most lush I've ever heard. A tour de force of all parties involved.

4. "Atlantis" by Sun Ra and his Solar Arkestra.

When you hear Sun Ra you say "what the hell is that". But it's how you say that phrase--either with interest or disgust. And that initial reaction will never change. Sun Ra is not an acquired taste, he is innate. I love his music, and this is amongst my favorite albums (like Mingus or Herbie, I could choose dozens). The first few pieces are but sketches--like looking at the line drawings of a great painter, he uses a small band and the music is not fully fleshed out. The masterpiece is the title track. He plays one of the most amazing electric organ pieces ever created--at first it sounds like simply noise, but listening closer reveals the intricacies within what he's playing. Ra had an amazing ability to sound completely and utterly out of control while the reality was the exact opposite. Amazing.

5. "Reveultas: Centennial Antrhology" several orchestras playing the music of Silvestre Revueltas.

This is worth it for the two versions of the amazing "Sensemaya". The original Leopold Stokowski version which brought Reveultas to worldwide attention is dynamic, energetic and wild. The orchestra doesn't really know what to do with the odd meter (7/8, IIRC) and the pace is extreme. But Stokowski makes it work through sheer force of will. The newer version by Eduardo Mata and the New Philharmonica Orchestra is much more comfortable--they know the piece well with the meter flowing smoothly rather than forceably, and the pace is much more sensible--not leisurly, just no break-neck like Stokowski. Nuances lost in the Stokowski are found again. Both are needed though--as the sheer beauty of the Mata version is offset by the brute force of the Stokowski. And both showcase a composer as revolutionairy as Stravinsky, but sadly not as well known.

Those are the five I think of right now. The amount of stuff which is omitted shows the futility of the effort. Now, for five harmonica albums (or albums with harmonica), here goes:

1. "Songs in the Key of Life", Stevie Wonder.

The best mixture of all the elements of funk in one album: soft soul, hard-core thumpers and everything in-between. Add to that some amazing chromatic playing and you have something truly wonderful.

Unintentionally bad pun.

2. "The Complete Bluebird Recordings: "John Lee Williamson".

I am a huge Sonny Boy fan and this is the best collection. His unique playing so fits the big, vibrant personality which comes forth in his singing. He really was instrumental in putting the harmonica right at the forefront of the blues and his styling was just so influential on all that came after.

3. "100% Cotton", The James Cotton Band.

A perfect example of blues-funk. Can fit in either camp without any questions. Cotton really smokes on this and the band is in top form.

4. "Why Can't We Be Friends", War.

Lee Oskar was one of the people who made me want to play harmonica. This was the album. He was a master of putting the harp in a band context. He didn't need to be the soloist or anything other than a member of the band, any by doing that he made himself integral to the band. Oskar's playing is understated, relaxed and brilliant all at once.

5. "Harmonica Masters" on the Yazoo label.

A truly must-own collection of early harmonica. There isn't a bad song here, and the variety of styles and playing is fantastic. If you like early American music and/or harmonica, this is as good as it gets.

Again, so many more. I can't believe I made a list without Sonny Terry (the other person besides Oskar who made me want to play harp), but that's the inherent idiocy of such lists.

That said, this was a fun little exercise, and got me to download some stuff to my iPod I hadn't gotten to yet.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'