Re: [Harp-L] Required Reading

As far as influencing my harp playing, songs more than albums were important to me (but I'll list the songs/albums anyway):

HARP INFLUENCES
1. Walter Horton "Fine Cuts". This whole album is my biggest influence (and his song "Easy" of course).
2. Little Walter's solo on Muddy's "I Just Want to Make Love to You".
2. Humble Pie "Smokin'". Steve Marriott's solo on their cover of "I Wonder" bit me deep.
3. J. Geils "Full House". Magic's solo on "Serves You Right".
4. Any of Lee Oscar's stuff on the War songs played on the radio in the 70's ("Gypsy Man", "Cisco Kid")
5. Johnny Winter "White Hot & Blue" Pat Ramsey's solo on "Last Night".
6. Robert Plant on "When the Levee Breaks".
7. Some guy I saw playing a harp into a rusty 50 gallon garbage can on Maxwell Street when I was a kid.

NON HARP MUSIC THAT JUST PLAIN INFLUENCED ME
1. Iggy Pop
2. David Bowie
3. The song "Che Gelida Menina" from Puccini's opera "La Boheme"
4. Jazz in all forms.... but Charlie Parker is my main man.
5. Jerry Lee Lewis

OTHER HARP PLAYERS I REALLY DO GIVE A DAMN ABOUT
Jaybird
Sonny Terry
Toots (playing the theme from Midnight Cowboy.)
Kim Wilson
Rod Piazza
Lester Butler
Deford Bailey