[Harp-L] 2006 Buckeye

Okay enough time has passed and I have finally caught by breath. The 2006 Buckeye was a fun time. As a first-timer I didn't know what to expect. For me it was a short drive from Dayton, Ohio to Columbus but far enough where I needed to spend the night. I jumped right into the seminars on jazz and playing chromatic harmonica. Both were very interesting but I quickly learned my passion is with playing the blues diatonic. Some of the material, concepts and instructions on the chromatic did carried over to the diatonic.

I was fortunate to meet Elizabeth (from Harp-L) and through her I met many more people. The first evening I was able to jam with Jason Ricci, Lawrence (from the U.K.) and a couple of other blues players. This was my first experience at jamming and when Jason gave me the nod for my turn I about panicked. I was able to hold my own for about 3 to 4 rounds until I realized my improvising was starting to sound stale. It was still a blast. Jason is passionate about the harp and very supportive to the less experienced players like me.

The next day I was able to sit down with P.T. Gazell and talk harp. He is incredible. He gave me some sound advice about playing to your own capabilities and not necessarily measure myself by others' standards. In other words, use the techniques you are comfortable with and make them work for you. That evening P.T. gave a great performance and held the audience spell-bound. It was a pleasure to see his performance and what he can do with a diatonic. I also bought his impressive cd, Swing Easy...Hitting Hard. Earlier that evening I was fortunate to see Al and Judy Smith, the Harmonica Hotshots perform. Wow! Talk about entertaining. That evening I only lasted two rounds on the jam. There was so much talent it was amazing.

Saturday evening's concerts were great. I don't remember all the names but Chris Bauer was on chromatic playing lead with a cord player and bass harmonica player. I have a lot of respect for the music and instruments they played. Chris Bauer makes it look so easy. He has a great cd, Now's The Time. The final act of the night was Jason Ricci and New Blood. They are awesome. If you ever get the chance to see them do it. I also highly recommend their new cd, Blood On The Road. Jason was very eloquent during a pause telling people how festivals like the Buckeye recharge him. Just being around other harmonica players and appreciating their passion for the instruments (diatonic or chromatic, etc.) and their passion for their music whether standards, jazz, blues or rock. He is a true ambassador for the harmonica.

At the conclusion of the concert, Elizabeth was yelling for one more song, Amazing Grace. Unfortunately, Jason could not hear her. My "grand finale" would have been Amazing Grace played by Jason, P.T. Chris, Al and Judy. That would have been a memory forever.

I walked away from the Buckeye with a bunch of new cd's; more new harmonicas than my wife will ever know about; and a lot of new friends. Thanks to all for the great experience.

Denny
Harpmessin'