[Harp-L] re: Harmonica key listings for songs...

Hi, Derek =-

Not sure why you want this, but in case it is because you want to know which harmonica to play with which song, let me explain why this is probably not a good solution. First, just because an artist did a song in a particular key one day doesn't mean everyone does the song in that key. Particularly when vocals are involved, artists pick a key that fits their range. Second, even the same artist does the same song in different keys, for whatever reason. I can't think of titles but I know I have some Muddy Waters tunes (i.e., old) and some Robben Ford tunes (i.e., new) where one recording was in one key and another version of the same song was in another. And of course, once you know the key, you STILL might choose a different harp depending on which position you want to play in.

You can learn to determine the key of any song very quickly. I learned from Dave Barrett (harmonicamasterclass.com) to use my C harp as a pitch pipe. This requires that a) you be able to identify in your head the root note of the song that's playing (I usually sing it to know I've got it right) - and b) that you know the names of all the notes you can play on the 1st 4 holes of the C harp. Now, just find the root note on the harp and you know what key the song is in. It is a learned skill, but ultimately the way to go. I now can determine the key of any song very quickly.

From: "derek windram" <stokesy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: April 16, 2006 10:56:37 AM PDT
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonica key listings for songs...

Scratching around on the internet looking for something, I came across a site (German, I think) that listed all the keys and harmonica keys used for a ton of songs. Not just any songs... all blues songs. It listed all the tunes by album, giving the album title, name of the tune, and harmonica details.
Great, I thought, I'll have a look at that later... I thought I'd bookmarked it, but now I can't find it. Can anyone help?

Tks

Goatstroker