Re: [Harp-L] Circular breathing anecdote...

 Thanks William,That's what I thought, less resistance with the other instruments.  Pretty much anyone with a harp at the higher side can choke off the throat and blow/draw real fast and circle breathe, but doing the blow "only" or draw "only" circle is a much tougher task let alone doing it in a consistant tone.thankssteve--- On Sat 04/15, William Jennings < will@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:From: William Jennings [mailto: will@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]To: mudharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 19:51:26 -0500Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Circular breathing anecdote...Reed and horn and flute....wind instruments all require some specific mouth/lip shape/pucker...
and this is enhanced/shaped further by slight alterations of diaphragmatic air support, throat choking,etc. to flavor tonality.  Same with the harp. You purse or pucker play with lips really tightly mashed,you can control a very thin stream of air.  Amplified, you can create a bigger sound with less breath volume,so...I would suspect, as others have noted, that higher register harps offer more resistance than the lower keys.The idea that circular breathing can only 'sustain a note indefinitely' would be limited for harp if this canonly be achieved on blow notes.  The techniques described so far would be hard to apply to a draw...Wind instruments, unlike the harp, are all blow notes....though I would find Kenny G's playing far more tolerableif HE played ALL of his notes on the INHALE.  But every time I have to ride an elevator in a Hilton, Kenny justseems to keep pedaling on the blow...-Will