Re: [Harp-L] Re: dim. half whole -> another perspective

Yet another perspective comes from George Russell.

If I interpret some basic points in the "The Concept" correctly, the
diminished scale can be used in any place a Lydian scale can be used
(vertically):

The primary chords over which you might do this (in C)

C Maj.
D7
F# half diminished
Ab 7+5
A-
B7

(This is because the lydian scale is the parent scale of these chords,
and the Eb, F, and G# that are additional notes found in the dim.
scale are just varying degrees of "outness" from the Lydian scale.)

Also, the diminished scale can be used anywhere a blues scale could be
used.(horizontally).

This is because anything with a natural 4 in it sounds "dia-tonic" or
having two tonics.  With two tonics in any given scale, it tends to
always be in a state of resolving.  This means you can plaster it over
almost any chord progression as long as the tendency of the scale is
to resolve to the last (harmonic) tonic station of the phrase.

That's my understanding of what he is saying anyway.