[Harp-L] Re: effects

Chris, I agree 100 percent. When I was managing a night club in Jackson Hole back in the 70s I hired Herbie Mann and his band to play a show.  He played his flute through a bunch of effects, including an Echoplex.  It was pretty outrageous for the time, and I thought it sounded fantastic.  It got me interested in using FX on my harp.

  I performed mostly country music back then, so there was not a lot of opportunity to bust out the wah or the fuzz tone on stage.  But I tinkered with it all on my own.  Now that digital processing has come of age, I think a new paradigm for harp is around the corner.  Now there are just too many cool, interesting sounds you can get from a harp to waste your time chained to an obsolete technology.

  -Rick

Chris Michalek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Speaking of effects:
  I don't understand why more harp player don't use effects.  There is a big part of me that thinks it has to do with my recent tongue and cheek comment. Of course you have to have the right kind of band to use it within but everybody in a blues band must play some sort of funy blues right?  why not bust out a auto wah pedal or ocatver? It's cool and funky.
  I use effects in my group because I am the only lead player and I need to change up the sound.  I also think it helps people cross-over to the harmonica world because it immediately get their head out of the Billy Joel, Neil Young, Bob Dylan space.