[Harp-L] Lee and Sonny in performance

There were a lot of terrific harp players out in San Jose at the Masterclass some years ago. M.Hummel, M. Ford, Charlie, Rod, Levy and Paul DeLay and a smoking harp concert that topped it off with Lee or as the headliner. I placed in the talent contest (Iceman won 1st place of course) as a result of the friend travelling with Lee insisting I compete. There were two things that really stuck out for me. Mark Ford was walking around the hotel lobby when he heard a pianist (a guy from C. Musselwhite's band) playing an open piano in the center of the lobby. With a smile as big as his harp case he ran over and pulled out a harp to spontaneously jam with the pianist. It just flowed out of him. And then a real harp players delight. Also spontaneously: Sonny Jr. and Lee Oscar trading riffs. Amplified riffs that became a song. As I remember it was kind of dark and mellifluous. Haunting veteran stuff. Both of these guys became their harmonicas. And the post song smiles between them. The acknowledgment of the moment. There's nothing like witnessing two artists feeding each other like that. Precious.