[Harp-L] Lee Oskar

When I first started playing harmonica, I concentrated on the blues,
listening mostly to Paul Butterfield and Sonny Boy Williamson II, plus
Little Walter, James Cotton and others.

But one day I heard Lee Oskar play and I just loved it.  So along with PB
and SBWII, I'd play the first Lee Oskar solo album over and over again.  It
taught me so much about playing 1st position and single notes.  I remember
the first time I was able to play one of his solos note for note I was just
so excited.  He has such a great tone and sense of melody.

As soon as I learned that Lee Oskar made harmonicas I started buying them.
They're my favorites to this day.  I still mostly play the blues, but I find
that learning how Lee Oskar does solos has improved my blues playing quite a
bit.  I have all the major diatonics and most of the minor harps, which I
love.  Next up I think I need to buy some of the Melody Makers and try them
out.

I saw him recently at Mark Hummel's Harmonica Blowout and he came after
Mark, David Barrett, Jerry Portnoy, and (I think Magic Dick also came before
Lee).  All the previous players were so great, but as great as they were,
when Lee Oskar started playing I realized it was dessert on top of a
fabulous meal.

Robert Gaustad