[Harp-L] Re: Lee Oskar (was (not!) Crap Musicians)

Well this also is re: Crap musicians and good people: (of course I'm the crap muso and Lee's the good people)

In the early '80's in Santa Monica at a blues joint waiting for the show to start, a slim mop-haired dude bummed a camel from me, we chatted over a couple drinks, he was a nice guy, laid back, no big deal. Then he got on stage, it was Lee Oskar. And over the next few months we ran into each other a few times and chatted amiably, we had some mutualities. I didn't jam with him or take lessons (some very good pals did) or even buy his harps but I did meet a genuinely down-to-earth nice guy with no attitude about being a star.

Lee O. could play one note and I'd dig it, 'cause he's also good energy. Same with so many other "star" gobironists whom I've met who're down-to-earth. Usually people who make their livin' playing little ten-hole tin sandwiches ain't so haughty. And their positive spirit carries into their music, beyond the technical, I believe (old hippie that I am.)

On the other hand, so-and-so famous unnamed harp-player was supposedly running a jam (I was first to sign up for the "open list", he'd never heard me play). He hogged the first 90 minutes then invited his pals to play, leaving me to wait several hours, only to shut me out with nary a nod or apology. Jammus interruptus. "Good" player - but asshole.

Now he can't play one note that I'd want to hear. No matter how finely wrought an imitation of a Walter it is. Wish I'd never met him, I might now be able to enjoy his music.

Maybe I should be glad I never met Jimi Hendrix!

-Dave Fertig