RE: [Harp-L] 520DX as workbench element tester?

 SpaceCowboy,Sure you can!  There's a few parameters involved depending on what element you're using.  If you're testing crystal or ceramic elements  there's 2 ways you can do this.   You can do Shure's 75 year old technology ( Brush Development may have done it first) and put a 5Meg or so resistor  in the input section which leads to the preamp tube.  The crystal or ceramic element will come alive much more than stock as most amps use less than 100K  resistance in the input, some more and some less, but not enough.  I did it several years ago and it works real well.  Or get a 5 Meg volume pot and forget the amp thing.  There's also a battery trick, but I wouldn't mess with that.. Testing CR's, CM's, dynamics etc. will be ok with the stock 500K pot so leave it in there so you can fool with the volume. hope that helps you and good luck,stevethunderHarpMics--- On Thu 04/13, < nonidesign@xxxxxxx > wrote:From: [mailto: nonidesign@xxxxxxx]To: SpaceCowboy123@xxxxxxx,
harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:32:16 +0000Subject: [Harp-L] 520DX as workbench element tester?I want to have a mic for workbench use only to test elements with. Is there any reason I couldn't buy a Shure 520DX, remove the element, and outfit the lead wires with mini alligator clips for this purpose? Should I remove the volume pot? Would that make any difference either way (because the 520DX's stock element is a dynamic)?Also, are there any sites that are "how to" places for guys like me who know just enough to be dangerous when trying to learn how to work on / modify their own harp mics?_______________________________________________Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.orgHarp-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com