RE: [Harp-L] Miles Davis - Kind of Blue on the harp

James wrote:

. . . . . Everytime I hear a "muted trumphet" I think harp.. . . . >

James,
That's great. The mute Miles used on All Blues is called a Harmon mute, named after it's inventor Dave Harmon. Maybe he also had the HARMONica in mind. There are some similarities in the tone, and the original technique used was alternately covering and uncovering the stem making a Wah-Wah sound. Anyway Miles played it without the stem, no hand effect, almost no vibrato, and made his own cool sound.

Charlie