[Harp-L] Theory - Reading

Technique is the means to an end, not the end itself. The object of gaining technique is to get to the point that you don't have to think about technique when you play so you are free to make music.

Theory is the means to an end, not the end itself. Theory is more important the more chromatic the music becomes. Knowing theory will not play the harmonica for you, but it will help you to know what to play and what everyone else is playing while you play. The diatonic in second position has most of the theory built in to the instrument in a simple blues setting. After that some knowledge will help.

Reading is the the means to an end, not the end itself. Reading music does not make you a great player, it does open doors, does allow you to cover material. Think of it the same way you learn to read a book.

Howard can read and knows theory, so can Hendrik, so can Mike Turk, so can Randy Singer, so can Rob Paparozzi, so can Clint Hoover, so can Charlie Musselwhite, Galison, etc.

Technique, theory, reading, etc. is what I teach. We will cover this at the Grand Canyon Harmonica Seminar.

Learn what you need for your particular area of music, but don't do it to wow the list, do it to wow yourself!