Re: [Harp-L] Real Musican VS. Crap

James said:

Walter Horton
was able to play Ellington's "Things isn't what they use to be" and did some incredible things with "La Cucaracha" folksy Mexican Dance.One can argue that if the opportunity was made available to study formal music theory, they would have jumped at the chance. How it would affected they playing is anyone's guess.

I have Big Walters book with Carey Bell and a few years ago, I looked at the music to see what he was playing and in the 3 or 4 tunes I looked he wasn't playing blues scales, he was playing arpeggios over the chord progression. Anyways, I was surprised, I was expecting blues scales notes. As they say, old monkeys know a lot of tricks.

Pierre.