Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Define

No...it makes you a great brain surgeon, and possibly
a crappy knee/heart doctor.

At least all doctors have the same starting point and
basic background.  They've taken something like
medicine (music), learned all the "essentials" (like
medcial vocabulary, anatomy, etc.) which are all very
advanced, analyzed their strengths and weakness, and
then applied them to a specialty areas like brain
surgery (harmonica).

Harp players, and most average Joe insturment players
tend to skip the background and go straight for the
specialty area.

It's like performing brain sugery while only
understanding part of the reason you're doing it.  Or
even worse, only knowing how to deal with a couple of
procedures.  And if you run into any problems or
complications, you have no resources to pull from.

Except the only thing that usually gets hurt in the
music version is our ears.

--- mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Muck"
> <tommuck@...> wrote:
>
> >Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Like I
> said, most players of music aren't great musicians.
> They great at limited areas.
>
> I don't think I'd agree with that. If you are a
> great brain surgeon that
> doesn't make you a crap doctor because you can't do
> open heart surgery or
> orthoscopic knee surgery. Everyone has specialties,
> in music and in any
> other field or art. I wonder if Beethoven could jam
> to a Muddy Waters
> tune.
> . .
>
> Tom