Re: Fwd: [Harp-L] Define

This whole thread about harmonica and musicians has
gotten out of hand.  I wonder if a different person
had posted the original comment if we'd be so upset
(and over a very truthful statement, no less)?

The bitter truth is most "musicians" don't know as
much about music (regardless of insturment) as they
could.

There was a post that even highschool kids can sit and
read music.  Heck I have 5th grade students that can
read better then I do.  Does that make them better
musicians?  No.  But there are a lot of people out
there that can read music and play.  They are better
musicians then I (they have more control over the
artform and a higher understanding of the art).

Some of us need to admit that learning more about
music would make us all better musicians and that
playing by your gut/ear/whatever isn't always the
right answer (and therefore we're limited in our art).
 For example, you might be the world's best harp
player on a I IV V...everybody in the world could love
every note you play.  Does that make you the world's
best harp player?

Not if you can only play a I IV V.  What about other
types of music???  You may be content with being a
great blues player, or great jazz player, but that
doesn't make one a well rounded or great musician.

Therefore, I would agree that MOST harmonica
players...probably the majority...are not good
musicians.  They are good harp players, or good
bluesmen, or good bluegrass players, etc.- but not
good musicians.  Most musicians aren't good musicians.
 There are only a few great musicians out there in any
relam.  One trait they share is the ability to move
from genre to genre with their own voice.  For us mere
mortals, theory and understaing of music will aid us
ni that quest.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.  Like I
said, most players of music aren't great musicians.
They great at limited areas.

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
NiteRail