Re: [Harp-L] harmonica case

Jim -

I go totally lo-fi, high effort on this one.

I've made two cases like this. I use old foam carpet padding. Not the
pressed composite stuff for wall to wall, but the foam kind you'd use for
oriental area carpets - about a quarter inch thick, usually blue or tan. So
I take one thin sheet and cut the rough shape of the inside of the case.
Then I lay out my harps exactly how I want them stored. Then I trace around
them. Then I cut out the template. Now, you might ask, a quarter inch isn't
going to "cut" it. Well, I just use this template, cut about four more of
them exactly the same, stack them up, carefully glue them together, and
voila! Nice soft, snug places custom made for your harps!  Now, what about
all of that extra space (as the case will likely be far deeper than the
heretofore known "harp cozy," and what about all of the space in the top?
Well it's just a matter of cutting as many pieces of foam as you want to
fill up the extra space. Glue it into the top. Stack and glue underneath the
cozy to raise it up to the lip of the case.

But wait, Blake! What about your microphones, cords, tools, etc?  Well, if
you want to carry everything together, then you should only make your harp
cozy big enough to fill up 1/2 to 2/3 of  your case, and simply thinly line
the other section with one or two layers of the padding so you can gently
put your stuff in the "open" space.

If you really want to get fancy, you could include in your harp cozy
template a space for a beverage holder. No more kicked over beers, or water
spilled on your amp.  ooh, I suppose you also could have a place for an
ashtray, business cards, condoms, etc!  The possibilities are endless!

A select few of you have seen my latest case. It doesn't look as "ghetto" as
it sounds, and it's infinitely practical. I have pictures if you wish!

Just give yourself a few hours to do the (literal) cutting and pasting on
this rewarding do-it-yourself project.

 - Blake