RE: [Harp-L] A question for sight readers

From: "Tinus Koorn" <tinus@xxxxxxx>
> C harp down and pick up a Bb harp, the relationship moves.
> How to you deal
> with that?
Don't play anything other than a C harmonica,
transpose the sheetmusic.
or learn to transpose on sight.
I have been playing with trumpets and alt sax a lot so I have sort of
learned to read Bb and Eb scores for the c harmonica.
(In general I am a very bad reader but I sort of manage some off the time)
This is easier than you think as long as the music stays more or less in one
key so you can read it in functions.
If the note you see on the page is the fifth of the key you are in it will
still be the fith of the scale when you move the piece to a different key.
When a lot of chromatisism occurs it gets difficult to relate the notes to a
certain scale and things get messy.

Learn to connect your "ear" playing on diatonic to functional theory (ie: scale numbers.)

Start learning how to play simple melodies and all major scales (up to the 9th degree) and back down on CHROMATIC.

Learn the notes that you are playing and then relate them back to the scale numbers.

Learn simple chord arpeggios and melodies in every key.

Work on 1 key every day for a week and then proceed around the circle of 5ths/4ths.
I say chromatic because it is all there, you have the technique to play the instrument already. Go slowly, use the chrom as a tool. Maybe eventually you might like it and become a chromatic player!
Keyboards are great too and so much more visual. Learn the same elementary stuff on a keyboard and don't worry about technique, it is only a tool for you at this point.
Internalize, and viualize.

Learn your intervals by sound and sight and know them inside & out by sound and sight.
Plenty of computer help free and paid to work on ear training.

Reading on diatonic can then be done as Tinus says by scale numbers. Chromaticism is a hurdle but read the simple stuff; get an elementary flute or sax band method book.

It then starts to be like the way that singers sight read. (Solfege)

Or don't do any of this and just have fun. I think all of this is fun too though!
Oh yeah, don't shoot the messenger or spin his message. Put the effort into raising the bar.
Gotta go play a session where they need some 3D-4D warble for a prison scene, oh well.

Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com