Fwd: [Harp-L] Define

Perhaps the terms artist and musician are being confused? I know that I have considerable prowess on my instrument and I know I can connect to people on an emotional level using music. That's an artform. Ask me what I played and how I do it and I'll tell you with all the confidence in the world "I don't know"
Ask a guy like Howard Levy and he'll say "Yeah Man, that was just the locrian mode played relentlessy over a Bm7b5 chord, hey can you hold this for me or go get me a cup of coffee? Where my back pack? Did you ask me a question? Hmmmmm Hmmmmm, Yeah I play keyboards really well too"
Howard is a steller musician AND artist. As are people like Rob P and Rob B etc...
I am a crap music and artist and there's nothing wrong with that unless you need to be able to communicate your craft to others. You may be the greatest psychobluesgrassjazz player on the planet playing a cool 1st position Jimmy Reed style blues but then somebody else in the band is jamming along and suddenly says go to the flat six for two and then a drop a half step for your solo, when you're done, then vamp on the five then start playing summertime in that key. Are ya gonna know what to do? Do you switch harps? Your playing and your solo maybe the most incredible moment on planet at the time but I bet most of you would be stopped in your tracks even if the song were your favorite blues tune.