Re: [Harp-L] re: being a musician

From: <rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Chris wrote: "For a guy like my bassist he
literally can play anything. Give him some sheet music and he goes..."

Most kids in a high school band can do this.

Not to disparage the bass player, reading well by itself will not lift you above
the abilities of millions of musicians.

Site reading is hardly all the man has going for himself. See: http://tinyurl.com/gt9x6

I've asked some session musicians about what it takes to be successful at that. They all said that in addition to talent/playing well, you needed to be a site reader and be able to play by ear. We have some on this list, they could speak. I doubt that any are advocates of musical illiteracy. I also doubt that any of them area one trick pony. But then we all have our own goals.

Peace and music,
Dave