[Harp-L] 99.4% crapola

i rarely contribute,
but it seems that this debate is 99.4% crap.
i've been playing since '88, and played in many bands,,, not
just blues.. i have a decent grasp on music theory.
however, i just recently lost a huge musical opportunity
simply on the fact that i can not read music fluently.
... i guess playing is so fun,, i never wanted to bite the bullet
and commit to the boring, monotonous training that it takes
to really do it right.
..but as the harmonica becomes more and more important
in my life,,, it makes perfect sense,, and i'm kickin myself in the
ass for not learning before. all it can do is open doors, not just buisnesswise,,,
but intellectually and creatively,, to read and express amazing (and not so amazing)
music and transcend the instrument... as much as we love the harmonica,,
it IS a vehicle for expression,, that we happen to love the sound and feel of.
......so bottom line is,, to all you that are afraid of loosing expression and soul
from this discipline,,, get your heads out of your ass.
if i hear about another one note solo, i'm gonna vomit.
that shit is great for impressing your friends at the local pub
on a friday night,, but the instrument needs to evolve.
if you need me, i just signed up @ the local college for some music classes.
i'm not gonna let another amazing opportunity to do what i love and
get paid a lot pass me by again.
.............if i loose my soul in the process,, i'll be sure to post the warning.

eric in miami

http://www.myspace.com/18552122