[Harp-L] re: what are you going to do about it?

Dear List,

  I've been somewhat of an anti-music-theorist for quite some time, but my outlook is turning.  Lately, I've started to equate music and story-telling.  I feel like I'm a "pretty good story-teller who can't even write his own name" when I assess my personal knowledge of music theory.

  I started contemplating  my life if I couldn't read/write English.  I suppose I could get by, but how many new words, or cool ideas would be kept from me?

   I was intimidated by music theory because no one explained it to me.  I perceived the study of music theory as an exclusive ivory-tower full of music "heads" sucking the life and soul out of what was, for me, an almost purely visceral subject.  I think/study too much as a part of my "regular" life.  Music just sort of happened, and I didn't want to lose that.

  However, I met a very enlightened "real" musician.  This guy just knows it.  More importanlty, he can also explain the "why" for me.  He shows me the logic, and the relationships, so that I can apply my intuition.  He's taught me that theory is merely a way of COMMUNICATING what's already in my head.  Much better outlook than the casual dismisal  ("oh, you're a harp player  there's no hope. tee hee")  that so commonly reinforced my fears in the past"

  Now, I'm writing out clefs.  I got a keyboard and am pecking out major scales. I blow harp as I peck sometimes too.  It's hard, and it feels like I'm in 1st grade (see spot run.  run spot run)  but it's also fun, and I think it's going to help.

  So to bring it all around with the original subject, I suppose I'll admit to being part of the 99.4% of crap musicians if the definition of "musician" requires reading and writing. I'd like to think of myself as a pretty decent musician, maybe just a crap "theoretical musician".   For now.

  Dan G.
  www.edbluepills.com
  www.jdbone.com