RE: [Harp-L] harp-l policy query?

I'm amazed any time I hear somebody on harp-l say things like the quotes
below.  What's amazing about this list is that you can get over a thousand
people from all over the world, who are passionate about their instrument of
choice, to share information, swap stories, and give and take advice, with
nary a problem.

That's impossible to do in the real world so we should be thankful for
people like Richard Hunter who understands this.  The problem that cropped
up a couple of days ago only happened because a new member made the mistake
of reposting a private message...a no no anywhere.  Okay, so he made a
mistake, now we move on.

But to hear "This is something that keeps many of us from posting here on a
regular basis and drives others away completely" completely blows my mind.
I love debate because from debate comes understanding.  If we all agree
about everything, that would probably drive me away.  I want to hear
oppposing views on just about anything and if it gets a little hot, well
that's just the real world.  If this just becomes an announcement forum,
that would be terrible.

I have NEVER seen it get so bad that it would drive me away.  Perhaps the
years I spend in New York and L.A. inured me to debate that can get a bit
too passionate.  And as many of us agree, if a message pops up that we don't
want to read, you can just skip to the next one.

Fjm, you and Ben do a fine job of moderating and I truly, truly hope you
will keep the mostly hands off attitude that you have had in the past.
We're all (mostly) adults and we should be able to play nicely without our
parents stepping in to break things up every time voices get raised.

Some of you who are internet savvy and have been on newsgroups and lists for
many years can attest that many of these forums get very, very hot.  That's
the beauty of the internet and if you understand it, you're better off for
it.  If you don't, you probably need to get some perspective other than the
single monitor you're staring into.  This is the whole world you're
communicating with, not just your friends and family who might share your
same beliefs and sensibilities.

Regards,

Robert Gaustad