Re: [Harp-L] RE: Are there any legendary harp players from Texas?

According to a little research, some early harmonica 'masters' from Texas
might include: Six Cylinder Smith, Freeman Stowers, and William McCoy.
Since we are talking about the 1920's and 30's, they may not be as
well-known as some of the later players due to regional isolation and
limited radio exposure, but they apparently made some impact.

As far as contemporary blues players (country blues, anyway), I would
include Lonnie Joe Howell in the list.

While it is true that many of our Texas blues harp players today actually
came here from somewhere else, that does not mean that we don't have Texas
blues players 'worth their salt' who are native -- they may just not be as
well known and may be playing and doing well in smaller, more
isolated, markets.  And we certainly welcome any one who comes here later
and wishes to 'naturalize', especially if they play music well.  However,
the range of music in Texas is pretty wide, so not all of our harmonica
players play blues -- especially not exclusively -- and to expect
Mississippi or Chicago blues to come out of a native Texan might be a little
silly, though there have been a few notable exceptions.  Consider, for
example, how likely it would be for a great conjunto or Tejano player to
come out of Mississippi or Chicago?  We certainly have many of them here.
Here we play swing, bluegrass, country, classical, jazz, blues, conjunto,
Tejano, mariachi, rock, etc.  There are no limits, just music.  And many of
our musicians in these other musical styles have developed quite a
reputation in their own genre's for their musicianship.

It does appear that Tennessee has had more than its fair share of fine blues
harp players, at least historically.  Arkansas and Louisiana have had quite
a few, as well, though I doubt very many folks would remember some of the
names.

Cara Cooke
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com