[Harp-L] HARMONICARAMA 2006

To the harp-l list:

Here is the announcement of the upcoming second edition of
Harmonicarama, which will be held at The Great Connecticut Traditional
Jazz Festival (20th year), in Moodus, CT Saturday, July 29, 2006.

I encourage you to read through the announcement and the application and
ask me any questions you may have (e-mail jmooney@xxxxxxxxxxx).

The announcement and the application form were sent to all SPAH clubs in
the northeast a week ago Friday.  I can send out additional copies via
snail mail or e-mail on request.

Hohner has again agreed to sponsor this initiative with a donation of
five of its gold CX-12s and some signage.  The CT JAZZ FEST folks are
providing 3 sets of rhythm at a cost to them of about $450.  Naturally,
the festival folks hope to sell at least 9 extra Saturday-only tickets
as a result of having Harmonicarama in its program.  I?m sure we can
make it worthwhile.

All entrants to the Harmonicarama will receive a free Saturday day pass.

I welcome any and all comments as I hope to replicate this initiative at
other music festivals throughout the country.  All it takes is a
volunteer to carry the message and manage some paperwork.  The
Mississippi Rag, the newsletter of traditional-jazz festival directors
and lovers around the world, will cover our effort at the CT JAZZ fest.

This helps us with the P & A in SPAH!

We may lose some or all of the formatting in the announcement and
application below, so do your best to ?read? through it.  If it turns
out to be really difficult, e-mail me (jmooney@xxxxxxxxxxx) and I?ll
send the files through to you as an attachment.  It?s currently in WORD
format so if you are in WORKS or something else, let me know and I?ll
try to convert to a usable format.

Here goes!  I?m gonna push the SEND button---

Hohner Harmonicarama

An Invitation and a Challenge to All Solo Harmonicists!

>From John Mooney,

Harmonicarama 2006 Coordinator

The first Hohner Harmonicarama was held at the Suncoast Dixieland Jazz
Classic in Clearwater, FL last November.   The second Hohner
Harmonicarama, sponsored by Hohner USA, will be held at The Great
Connecticut Traditional Jazz Festival, this July at the Sunrise Resort
in Moodus, Conn.

The Inspiration for Harmonicarama:

It?s 1946. Benny Goodman?s quartet was at Eddie Condon?s Club in New
York City with a young man named Leon Jacoby in the audience, but Benny
was late.  Condon approached Jacoby, asked him if he would like to ?sit
in?.  Jacoby jumped up, took out his Hohner chromatic, stepped on stage
and, looking at Gene Krupa, Teddy Wilson and Slam Stewart, counted off
for ?Memories of You.?  As the set ended Jacoby got a standing ovation.
In walked Benny, who spoke to Condon and then stepped on stage and said
?I want to thank my good friend, Lee J. Cobb, for sitting in.?

?Sitting in? with a great rhythm section is what HARMONICARAMA is all
about.

At the Suncoast festival harmonica soloists Joe Leone, Bob Dauhn, Ed
Coogan, Cliff Barnett and Patrick Fishback, judged ?best in show? after
two earlier ?tryout? sessions, played two numbers of their choice on
Saturday at Condon?s Corner jazz club in Clearwater, backed up by the
great rhythm section of the Dixie Chaps Jazz Band.  Each soloist was
presented with a Hohner CX-12 Gold chromatic harmonica, donated to the
event by Hohner USA.  The audience at Condon?s came to its feet when
these players let loose with a great rhythm section behind them, and
Harmonicarama proved to be an unexpected highlight of the Suncoast
Dixieland Jazz Classic weekend.

The Great Connecticut Traditional Jazz Festival will host this year?s
Hohner Harmonicarama on July 29 at Moodus, Conn.  The tryouts will be
held in two performance sets between 11 AM and 1 PM on Saturday, July
29, ?sitting in? with a great rhythm section on one of five stage venues
at the Festival.  The Harmonicarama performance for the five judged
?best in show? is scheduled for 7:45 PM that same evening.

The Great Connecticut Traditional Jazz Festival features traditional
jazz bands from all around our country, and this year it celebrates its
20th anniversary.  The Festival supports its charitable arm ?Horns for
Kids? providing grants and instruments to Connecticut schools.  Please
go to www.ctjazz.org for more information.

John Mooney, musical director for The Villages Harmonica Band in The
Villages, Florida, will coordinate this year?s Hohner Harmonicarama.
Fortunately, John will be in Connecticut for the summer months and will
work closely with Natalie Lindstrom, director of The Great Connecticut
Traditional Jazz Festival.

SIGN UP for HOHNER HARMONICARAMA 2006, be a part of something special
and unique and help make this the great event it deserves to be!

REGISTRATION:

Registration forms must be sent to John Mooney to reserve playtime.  See
details under Key Contacts below.  The Application fee is $10 to offset
some of the costs of copying and postage.  Any excess over expenses will
be donated to the Festival?s ?Horns for Kids? program.   John will
confirm receipt of your application and provide additional details.
PLEASE APPLY EARLY to insure consideration in the schedule.  The number
of participants is limited since we only have two hours for the
 ?tryouts?.

FESTIVAL BADGE:

All players will receive a complimentary All Day Saturday badge.  You
are invited to bring family and friends and make a day (or even a
weekend) of it at the Sunrise Resort, but they, of course, will need to
purchase tickets.  Adult tickets for the entire day and evening Saturday
are $40 for adults if purchased before July 21st, or $50 at the gate.
Kids under 18 are admitted for $5.  Tickets for the day or the weekend
may be obtained by calling The Sunrise Resort at 1-800-HOT-EVEN(T).
The facilities include cabins or motel-style rooms, a campground, a
great pool, basketball courts, boats on the river, and lots of things
for kids to do.  Go to www.sunriseresort.com for additional information.

DIRECTIONS:

Each website: sunriseresort.com or ctjazz.org provides maps and
directions.   There are accommodations at the resort. For those who
prefer more luxurious amenities, the festival website lists some hotels
in the area and which ones are offering discounted prices for jazz
festival attendees.  Be sure to ask for the jazz festival discount.

>From Boston:  Take the Mass Pike to I-84 to X55, Route 2 East for 14
miles to X13, right on Rte 66 for 4 miles, then left on Rte 196 south
for 6 miles to 151 south for 1 mile to Sunrise Resort.

>From New York or Providence: I-95 to X69 at Old Saybrook, then inland on
Rte 9 for 10 miles to X7; take left on Rte 82, then left on Rte 149 for
3 miles, then left on Rte 151 for 1 mile to Sunrise Resort.

>From New York or central Connecticut:  Merritt Parkway or I-91 to
Middletown-Meriden.  Right on Rte 66 east for 13 miles to Cobalt, then
right on Rte 151 for 7 miles to Sunrise Resort.

TO BE A PART OF IT, CONTACT:

John Mooney, coordinator:  Mail application to 1830 Athens Lane, The
Villages, FL 32162, (352) 396-1014 before May 20.  After May 20, mail to
761B Pontiac Lane, Stratford, CT 06614, (352) 396-1014 or (203)
377-3366.  Feel free to e-mail me at jmooney @ bigfoot.com.

Don?t miss your chance to be one of those harmonica soloists to sit in
with a great rhythm section behind you, make some harmonica history, and
delight your audience with the virtuosity of the jazz harmonica.

YOU KNOW YOU?RE THAT GOOD; GO FOR THE GOLD (CX-12)!!

Hohner Harmonicarama

AT

The Great Connecticut Traditional Jazz Festival

Harmonicarama Tryout Application

Last name:          __________________________ First name:
_____________________

Address: ____________________________________________________________

City: ___________________________ State: _________ Zip:
_________________

Telephone: ______________________ e-mail: _____________________________

ÿ  Applicant must copy this completed form; retain the copy and mail the
original.

ÿ  Enclosed is $10 Application fee, made out to TGCTJF.

?LIVE? RHYTHM ACCOMPANIMENT PROVIDED

THE TRYOUT IS THE JUDGED EVENT.

ONLY HARMONICA ABILITY IS JUDGED, PLAYING DIXIE, SWING OR JAZZ STYLES.

CAREFULLLY UNDERLINE OR CIRCLE ONE TITLE FROM EACH SIDE.

NAME
KEY                        NAME
KEY

Memories of You                                                  Eb
Everybody Loves My Baby                              F

All of Me
C                             After You?ve Gone
Bb

At Sundown                                                           F
Avalon                                                              F

Body and Soul                                                       Ab
Chinatown                                                       C

Do You Know What It Means to Miss

    New Orleans                                                     C
Hindustan                                                        C

Bill Bailey
F                              Shine

Blue Skies                                                             F
What a Little Moonlight Can Do                 C

I Can?t Get Started                                              C
Cherokee                                                           Ab

I Surrender Dear                                                  C
Indiana                                                              G

Up a Lazy River                                                     F
I?ve Found a New Baby                                    Eb

Rose Room                                                             Ab
Running Wild                                                    Bb

The Lonesome Road                                             Eb
Sleep
Bb

Nobody?s Sweetheart Now                                   F
Cabaret                                                              Eb

On the Sunny Side of the Street                       C
(The) World Is Waiting for the Sunrise         C

There?ll Be Some Changes Made                      Bb
Washington and Lee Swing                              Bb

IF YOU MAKE THE ?SHOW? PLEASE CHOOSE TWO SLOW AND/OR UP-TEMPO
SELECTIONS,

NOT NECESSARILY FROM THE ABOVE LIST

MAIL TO:  John Mooney, 1830 Athens Lane, The Villages, FL 32162, before
May 20; then to 761B Pontiac Lane, Stratford, CT 06614  (352) 396-1014;
e-mail to jmooney@xxxxxxxxxxxx  Contact 1-800-HOT EVENT for a Jazz
Festival mailer.

?WHEN WILL YOU EVER GET A CHANCE LIKE THIS AGAIN??