Re: [Harp-L] RE: Bad reed I think

I think one thing worth mentioning about the "non-centred reed" scenario is that it's extremely unlikely to crop up suddenly in a harp that you've been playing without problems for a good while. I must have bought over a hundred off-the-shelf harps by now (ah, my misspent youth...) and I've had the odd buzzing reed just once or twice that was due to a very slightly off-centre reed or a reed with a little burr either on it or in its slot. But if your reeds are nicely centred from the word go they are ~not~ going to go off-centre unless you fiddle around with them yourself. A duff reed that develops is either a dead 'un or else it has fluff stuck in it. I have had mysterious gapping issues arising occasionally in older harps and why that should happen is a complete puzzle to me. But what is life without the odd mystery... ;-)

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm